Friday, August 21, 2015

Victory Now, Steps for the Future

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to one Wendy Miller who, as my pro bono attorney, successfully wrote more DMCA takedown notices than we can count and finally managed to convince Google to remove the blog that has been a clone of this one. I thank the rest of you for your patience during this period.

Meanwhile, I have been receiving excellent advice on how to install code to prevent, or at least hamper, efforts to steal content from this blog. I am learning more than I ever cared to. For example, my great friend "Bug Gwen," an outstanding blogger in her own right, told me that in most theft cases like this, the thief exploits the RSS feed. Gwen suggested shortening my feed instead of letting the feed carry the entire blog post. I have done this, but already received a vociferous complaint from one of my loyal followers who does not like to have to open a browser and click through to the full post. So, I have created a poll to learn what the rest of you prefer. I will act according to your collective wishes, but I do ask that you consider what I just went through.

Should "Bug Eric" RSS feed be restored to "full?"

Another technical whiz suggested embedding code into my blog's template to prevent indirect copying of text and images. I have done this as well, but it won't prevent someone from copying and pasting directly, if I understand this correctly. There seems to be no way of making one's creations completely theft-proof, but I understand those risks. However, only now am I learning what I should have done in the first place.

Thank you again for your loyalty, I look forward to resuming something closer to a normal posting schedule from here forward.

6 comments:

  1. I'd be interested in seeing how to insert that code into my own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I turned my suggestions to Eric into a blog post. I didn't go into great detail where to find options in the blogger dashboard, but I can expand the post if necessary. Deterring Blogspot Content Theft

    ReplyDelete
  3. I secocnd Susannah, and I'm glad you're taking utmost care to prevent further theft; your blog is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm sorry you feel that way. I have shortened my feed so that you cannot view the *entire* blog, robbing would-be automated thieves from stealing *everything.* I won't go to no feed, but you'll have to click through on those posts that are of interest to you.

      Delete

Blog author currently unable to reply to reader comments, nor comment himself. Working to resolve this.